Exercise is an important component of losing weight and keeping it off. While cardio exercise is definitely important in the battle of the bulge and to keep your heart healthy, free weight exercise is also necessary. Combining a routine that includes both will result in the healthiest you possible.
What is Free Weight Exercise?
Free weight exercising is simply working out with weights that are not attached to a machine. They can be barbells, dumbbells, a kettle bell or even a medicine ball. Typically free weight exercise is done repetitively with weights that you can comfortably handle. As the repetitions get easier to do and your muscles are no longer being challenged, you increase the amount of weight you use.
The Benefits of Free Weight Exercise
One of the biggest advantages of building muscle through free weight exercise is that it burns more calories than fat does. Therefore as you gain muscle you will be able to eat more or lose weight more easily. But that is not the only advantage. Free weight exercise brings you a variety of other benefits, including:
- Strengthening your muscles
- Improving your range of motion
- Better balance
- A more toned body
- A faster metabolism
- Stronger bones
- Less chance of injuries
- An inexpensive and effective way to exercise at home
Free weight exercises can be adapted to target your arms, legs, abdominal muscles and upper body.
Things To Remember About Free Weight Exercise
- As with any exercise it is important not to overdo it, especially when you first start out. Learn the correct way do the exercises you are doing so that you do not get injured. Be sure to warm up your muscles before exercising. Use good posture as you work out. Breathe deeply as you make slow controlled movements.
- Another important thing to remember is that your muscles need to rest and recover between workouts. Make sure you do not use the same groups of muscle on consecutive days.
- To maximize your weight loss efforts, vary the types of exercise you do and be sure to include free weight training. Doing so will help you feel great and look even better!